In Alaska, we pay too much for our food and the produce selection stinks. Okay, some weeks it's okay. Much of the time, it's not so great. Over the summer, we discovered the local farmer's market. And we grew a garden. But what about during the fall, winter, and spring (oh yes, and first part of summer)?
Well about a month and a half ago, I found out about a CSA (community supported agriculture) program that is available for us. Basically, there's a farm in Washington that sends us a box of all organic fruits, veggies, and herbs each week. They contract with other organic farms to get things that they don't grow.
So here is what we got today:
zucchini, carrots, artichoke, red potatoes, roma tomatoes, parsley, kiwi, avocados, pears, oranges, apples, Pomegranates, and a sweet dumpling squash
We get to modify our box ahead of time and double up on certain things (this week, I got double zucchini and double potatoes), and we can add additional items (I ordered an artichoke and the Pomegranates).
Okay, can you tell I'm excited about this box thing? Yes, I'm a nerd and I'm okay with that. It is fun though and I'm trying some new foods and new recipes.
Speaking of which, any great recipes for any of the above items, let me know! I always love trying new recipes (at least ones without any onions.... yes, I hate hate hate onions).
No comments:
Post a Comment