Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Independence: Food

One of the ways that Madalyn is able to be independent is by being able to choose her own food (mostly snacks) and being able to access them on her own.  The lowest door shelf on the inside of our fridge door is dedicated for my daughter, and it’s filled with drinks and healthy snacks.  The food is all ready for her to be able to open and eat (ex. oranges and kiwi peeled).  She has apple slices, pear slices, kiwi, oranges, cheese, yogurt, milk, rhubarb, carrots, tomatoes, sugar snap peas and snow peas. 

IMG_7836

And she also has an area in one of my cupboards that is filled with healthy snack options that she can choose from, plus she is able to choose from the boxes of cereals as well (not shown).  There are always lots of granola bars, dried fruit, fish crackers, wheat crackers, and other similar items.

 IMG_7838

Madalyn enjoys being able to get her own food and make decisions as to what she is going to eat.  I’m not sure exactly when I started allowing her to do this, but it’s been quite a few months… possibly a year or a bit longer. 

2 comments:

Brandi said...

I've been meaning to do this but haven't ever gotten around to it! I tried it once with shelf-stable stuff a few months ago but Ryann always had to be reminded it was there/had me get it out for her anyway so I let it go. You have an awesomely cute setup, what an inspiration!

Leighann said...

Love this idea. I've seen the snack baskets in the pantry, but I love the fridge shelf.